Even though initially the “7TH INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF DESIGN AS A PROCESS” was think to be held in Cali, Colombia, organized by the Faculty of Engineering and Business Administration at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia – Campus of Palmira Its realization, in a face-to-face format, was canceled due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
The event is reborn as the “7th International Forum of Design as a Process. DESIGN AND TERRITORY; Emergencies and Conflicts, WEBINAR SPEAKERS ”. In a virtual conference format.
The development of the Forum, work continues from the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, with the great support of the School of Architecture, Art and Design of the Tecnológico de Monterrey for all virtual logistics and also with the contribution of Coordination from the Latin Network of Design Processes, led by the University of Bologna.
The main topic proposed for this new forum is DESIGN AND TERRITORY, focusing on the appropriation made by the communities, their identity and relation with their environment. In the territory, the local, the regional and the global are overlapping resulting in different forms of perception and assessment that can be metamorphic and conflicted. The conflict is part of nature and life, it is the result of the relationship between single persons and the community; it is not a negative fact in itself that must be eliminated, but it is a different view that requires to be studied and analyzed. It´s also a potential catalyst that boosts transformations that otherwise would take a long time.
Thinking about the interrelation between the multiple dimensions of conflict and design, it will also address the great challenges existing in the diverse territories: from social and economic inequality, the dramatic environmental changes, the processes of identities and its populist ravings, the migrations (cross-national, rural to urban sectors, intercity, etc.), from the aging of the population and the cultural transformations to the equity and gender identity among many others.
The emerging scenarios in design, which address conflicts in territories, are the main matter in this scientific conference, and the invitation on this forum is to participate through the exchange, debate, discussion of studies, findings and experiences, focused in:
– What are the emerging processes applied to mediate conflicts that may happen in the territory?
– How can a dialogue be established between design, processes, projects, and society; which dialogue allows the understanding, intervention or construction of territory?
– What is the role of design in different territories: mediator, catalyst, mitigator, driver, etc.?
– How can the link be established between design and the diversity of knowledge (humanistic, technological-productive, economic-administrative, artistic, cultural, political, etc.) across different territories?
– What are the areas of knowledge, practices or processes in design education or entrepreneurship in the different territories of Latin culture?